Success and Failure...But Only Temporarily!

As a pastor, December is generally a very busy month.  You would think that after nearly 30 years of working in churches that I would know this by now.  But no!  Every year I think I have things in order and ready to go...and every year the stress and busyness of Advent/Christmas comes a knocking!  So, being able to slip out of town for an evening on the boat was a nice little escape.  The sound of the gentle rain falling during night and the rocking of the boat didn't hurt either!

As far as the boat goes, we are no closer to having her ready to sail...but no further either.  All parts are in hand, I just need a day...with some help...to drill a hole there, a hole here, and tighten a few things that will be easier with two people.  But we'll get their soon.

But this trip I did come prepared to do three things inside the boat.  And if I'm honest, these three projects resulted in two successes and one failure.  But all of these are only temporary...almost.

The first project really started in my shop at the scroll saw.  I made a little wall hanging for the boat to add a personal touch.  It came out pretty good.  Of course, I know being in a marine environment I need to watch how it holds up, but I added some additional coats of finishing that should help.  That, and a few pieces of velcro and she is ready to go.


The last two projects...one a success and one failed big time...were meant from the beginning to be temporary.  The failure was in the galley area.  While I will one day build a small cabinet to slide into the galley area that our one-burner stove will sit on and then have space for utensils and plates/bowls, I made a little shelf unit to raise the stove up and allow for some storage beneath it.  I works perfectly...except somehow I had written down the wrong width and it is about two inches two wide.  Ugh...but it is back in the car and won't take much to cut it down for the next trip.

The last project was with the table in the cabin...and this one worked just as I had planned.  So, again, I am planning on building a new table, but that is a project for after we get this girl out of the slip and her sails filled with wind.  The table the previous owner made could not be folded up nor taken down.  It was always a rather large presence in the cabin area.  So, for a temporary fix, I removed the piano hinge and attached a board with some three-prong nuts.  Then, with holes drilled in the bulkhead where it attaches, some bolts coming in from the head area allow it to be detached and stored in the pocket like the original table from the factory.  



While my projects met with mixed results...an evening on the boat was (as expected) relaxing and refreshing.  Now to get started on my busy day!

Comments

Popular Posts